The 2012 IAC in Cape Town, South Africa
The Two Oceans Aquarium is proud to be hosting the 2012 International Aquarium Congress (IAC) from 9 to 14 September 2012 at the Cape Town International Convention Centre. For the first time ever, we will welcome the IAC to Africa and to the southern hemisphere.
The IAC is the most important and prestigious event for the global public aquarium industry. Held every four years, it is the only international platform that gathers decision makers and professionals from the global public aquarium community to share and learn about new developments in the fields of inter alia animal husbandry, research, technology, management, education, conservation and sustainability.
Excellent progress is being made in arranging the 2012 IAC and we are introducing some exciting and unique features to ensure that this congress is an outstanding event.
- Three internationally renowned scientists, Dr Camille Parmesan, Dr Elin Kelsey and Professor George Branch, will deliver keynote addresses after the opening ceremony.
- We will be hosting café conversations and in keeping with the theme of the 2012 IAC, The global aquarium community: sharing experiences and collectively inspiring change.
- Voices for the Future of the Oceans will link up passionate young marine biologists and high school students across the globe through live streaming/video conferencing. We are very excited about this powerful and groundbreaking opportunity to involve the youth in the IAC.
- Over and above a memorable 2012 IAC, you’ll have the opportunity to experience the natural splendour of your host nation, South Africa, and your host city, Cape Town. Learn more about pre- and post-congress tours here, and more about day trips for delegates here. Included in the environs of Cape Town alone are some of the best land-based whale watching sites in the world, a large population of great white sharks which is accessible to both divers and non-divers, and large colonies of Cape fur seals, African penguins and other seabirds.
- And don’t forget the Two Oceans Aquarium – Cape Town’s star attraction and the home to many conservation, education, entertainment and inspirational projects.
- Beyond Cape Town, Southern Africa offers magnificent opportunities for nature-lovers, with some of the finest game parks in Africa. You, the delegate/exhibitor, will have the opportunity to experience the best that South Africa has to offer in terms of its natural beauty; the wonders of its bountiful animal and plant life; its world-class accommodation and convention facilities and of course its warm and friendly people.
I hope that you will join us for the 2012 IAC – seize the day and register today to secure your place at this exciting African event!
See you in Cape Town in September.
Dr Pat Garratt, 2012 IAC Steering Committee Chairperson